Westbury is a civil parish with three electoral wards and with an elected town council of fifteen members, with five in each ward. The chairman of the town council has the title of Mayor of Westbury. The council offices are located in the Laverton Institute, owned by The Laverton Institute Trust, a registered charity. The council is the sole trustee of the trust which rents out the building for use by the community, businesses and to the council. Westbury has a resident population of over 14,000. The town has long been an established seat of local government, having Westbury Urban District Council from 1895 until 1974 when it became Westbury Town Council.
The principal authority is Wiltshire Council, the unitary authority of Wiltshire (excluding Swindon), created in April 2009. It is the successor authority to Wiltshire County Council (1889–2009) and also to four district councils – Kennet, North Wiltshire, Salisbury, and West Wiltshire – all of which had been created in 1974 and were abolished in 2009.
West Wiltshire District Council had itself been created by the merger of the former urban districts of Bradford-on-Avon, Melksham, Trowbridge, Warminster and Westbury, along with Bradford and Melksham Rural District and the Warminster and Westbury Rural District.
As a local council, we have a number of statutory duties and services to administer and will continue to place efficiency, value for money, fairness and transparency at the centre of our operations. Our strategy is intended to inform our councillors and staff, engage residents and all our actions are intended to benefit our town and its community.
Take a look at our “Redefining Westbury” Town Strategy 2018-2022